Sunday, March 7, 2010

Blog Introduction

I'll be honest, blogging is pretty new to me. I started blogging about a year ago for fun but nothing really came of it. I thought of plenty of things I wanted to write down, but my thoughts never reached a keyboard, or if they did, they were never edited. Looking back, I'm actually a little embarassed of my earlier attempt. There was no rhyme or reason to my writing and rarely a purpose to what I was saying. This time, though, I am starting a blog with an actual purpose and focus in mind.
I am currently in my second semester of college, finishing up the last of my liberal arts requirements and starting on my psychology major. Like many freshmen, I'm still figuring out my plan. I'm considering a double major, and am currently experimenting with classes that will let me test my interests, while also working towards the fulfillment of my psychology major. The U of M has so far proved to be a great school, with a variety of interesting classes to choose from and plenty of opportunities to get involved. I also love that I've been able to leave my comfort zone in the suburbs and submerge myself in a new, bustling community. I'd always vowed as a kid never to live in a big city due to pollution and crime stats and whatnot, but I must admit, it has a certain charm. Minneapolis holds so much culture, activism, activity and people. And in my opinion, our student community benefits immensely from this convergence of different backgrounds, perspectives, viewpoints and passions. So many enlightening contrasts await those who choose to indulge their eyes and ears in order to gain more complex understandings and to broaden their perspectives.
Unfortunately, even in such a multifaceted community as this, tolerance and diversity only extend so far. I recently drafted a letter to the editor of the Minnesota Daily, a student newspaper, addressing my opinion on this issue. I'm posting a copy of the final draft on this blog because a large part of why I've started this rests in the limiting and one-sided atmosphere on campus when it comes to politics. Somehow, the same students who argue for the right to free speech and tolerance of multiple viewpoints, and the same students who claim to be part of a group that is somehow more open than its opposition, are suppressing all voices and viewpoints differing from their own. We preach against stereotypes in ethnicity, culture, gender, socioeconomic statuses, etc and then say nothing when we hear stereotypes in ideology. I'm sick of having to hide the fact that I'm a Republican because I don't want people to shun me or stop associating with me. I'm sick of people insulting members of my party openly and applying stereotypes to us unfairly in order to demonize us. And I am sick of students on our campus attacking others for seeing things differently, and fighting opposition to left-wing views with character attacks instead of a respectful debate on the issues at hand.
I am a Republican, and I have a right to be so.

0 comments:

Post a Comment